To participate in a circle, all you need is the desire, the willingness to attend the gatherings and to agree to follow circle principles. Each group determines their own guidelines. Following are some agreements that have helped circles to function more successfully for all participants.
- Create a circle.
- Consider it a sacred space.
- One person speaks at a time.
- Speak and listen from the heart.
- Encourage and welcome diverse points of view.
- Listen with discernment instead of judgment.
- When in doubt or need, pause and silently ask for guidance.
- Share leadership and resources.
- Decide together how decisions will be made.
- Work toward consensus when possible.
- Offer experience instead of advice.
- Decide together what is to be held in confidence.
- Speak from your own experience and beliefs rather than speaking for others.
- Open and close the circle by hearing each voice. (Check-ins and check-outs.)